Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Window Treatments and Zimmans

In the midst of wedding planning, I have taken some time to put some color on my windows. As many know, apartments often lack color. Mine is no different. As nice as it is to have a clean, uniform look throughout the apartment, the lack of color is getting a little, well, dull. I am working to bring some color and "L.Alden-ness" into the space.

I wanted to work on the living room first, which has taupe walls, white trim, light wood floors, and a white sofa. The room is crying for color!!! Deciding on my largest print was the first place to start. So I made my first trip to Zimmans, my new favorite fabric store! I picked out this floral print (I don’t know who makes it, if anyone recognizes it please let me know!) because it is fun, vibrant, and features so many different colors. I could see it going about 10 different ways in different spaces. After I whipped up the first relaxed roman and found that the curtain was crying for more oompf! The green in the leaves is gorgeous, and I knew it needed to be better represented, so back to Zimmans I went. Carly was there to help me out; let me tell you, this girl knows her fabric. Within seconds of showing her what I was trying to highlight, she knew exactly where to go. Well one week later and here are the results.



So, what’s next, you ask? Well, I need to make pillow covers for pair of rectangular pillows I bought at Homegoods (the striped one on the sofa above). I'm thinking a solid green with mother of pearl buttons. I also need to bring in the vibrant pinks, reds and yellows out subtly with accessories. Then its on to the fireplace. I'm looking to make or purchase an affordable oil pastel or oil painting for the fireplace. I'd love a street scene, maybe a cafe or little storefront. A heavy emphasis on perspective is a necessity too. Something sweet and Southern to remind me of my Virginia roots. Any suggestions are welcome!


3 comments:

Rachael said...

just love that fabric! Can't wait to make some pillows for the bed out of it! How do you attach the shades to the window?

l.alden said...

Rach, being a renter, I can't attach anything permanently to the windows, so, I used tension rods.

Note: If you can mount your hardware, I reccomend using L brackets and a piece of 1 x 2 cut to the window length. Attach your fabric to the cut 1 x 2 with a staple gun and the L brackets to the 1 x 2 with screws. Then attach the whole thing to the window.

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Gorgeous! That fabric is amazing!