Blog

Monday, September 7, 2009

Homemade Granola

I think I might be a granola addict. Call me crazy, but I eat the same recipe of granola, Monday - Friday. A bowl of nonfat plain yogurt (add a little Purvia and a dash of vanilla extract) topped with granola and fresh fruit is a true delicacy.


The recipe I use is from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I make it in large quanities, so it lasts a month or two. My Mom and I first tried the recipe about a year ago and have been making it ever since. I received the cookbook as a birthday gift last year, so when I moved, the granola recipe went with me. Ever since then I've been making the same recipe and my poor Mom (or so I thought...) has had to guess the original ingredients and proportions.


I didn't think anything of this until I went home for a beach trip and tried her version of the Barefoot Contessa granola recipe. Its delicious. Absolutely positively the best granola I have ever tasted (move over Barefoot Contessa). Granola goodness is what it should be called. It was so good, I really considered sneaking a container full of her granola to take home with me. She wouldn't have noticed, right???

Well, I didn't take the granola, but I did ask what she put in it that was so different than the original recipe. Turns out she just "threw in" some maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, extra coconut, pecans, and a few seeds. Oh, and she decreased the cooking oil. No measurements or anything like that. Its pretty typical of her. Only one problem, as a novice chef, I need measurements.

So this weekend I noticed my supply of Granola (yes, I have a tall jar from World Market filled with granola) was nearly depleted and I was due for a new batch. It was also the perfect opportunity to make my Mom's recipe. So here it goes... I've tried to make it easy by adding whole bags/containers of ingredients into the recipe. Please don't do what I did and waste clean bowls just to take photos. Its not what I normally do, but I wanted the photos to look nice.


Ingredients:

• One (1) 18oz container of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats

• One (1) 6oz bag of Pecan Pieces

• One (1) 6oz bag of Sliced Almonds

• One (1) 7oz bag of Sweetened Coconut

• 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
• 1/2 Cup Honey
• 1/8 Cup Grade A Dark Maple Syrup
• 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
• 1 Tsp Salt
• 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
• 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract


1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.


2. In a mixing bowl, add the following ingredients and stir together:

• One (1) 18oz container of Quaker Old Fashioned Oats

• One (1) 6oz bag of Pecan Pieces

• One (1) 6oz bag of Sliced Almonds

• One (1) 7oz bag of Sweetened Coconut

  1. I also added 1/4 of a cup of Roasted Sesame Seeds, however this is optional, and really depends on what flavors you like in your granola. You could also try sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Avoid any salted nuts or seeds, as this will add too much salt to the flavor of the granola.

  1. In a small saucepan, mix together the following ingredients over medium heat:

• 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
• 1/2 Cup Honey
• 1/8 Cup Grade A Dark Maple Syrup
• 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
• 1 Tsp Salt
• 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
• 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract



  1. Bring the liquid ingredients to a low boil and then take off the heat. Pour half of the sauce into a large mixing bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients. Stir together and then pour on a rectangular cookie sheet (with edges).



  1. Repeat step 5 with the remaining sauce, Old Fashioned Oats, Almonds, Pecans, and Sesame Seeds. You will end up with a big mound of uncooked granola.

  1. Place the cookie sheet in the oven at 300 degrees Fahrenheit and stir every 15 minutes. The granola should be done in about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or when it is light golden brown.

  1. Take out of the oven and let cool. Keep stored in a closed, dry environment, such as a glass jar or plastic container.

No comments: